Part of an author’s job is to market themselves and their work. We keep up with our online social networks, updating Facebook and Twitter and engaging with other authors, editors, agents and readers. We blog, we’re interviewed and participate in discussions on online forums and blogs. Whether we’re writing books or writing Facebook updates, our number one job as a writer is to write and write well.
What makes good writing?
- Proper grammar, spelling, punctuation, word choice, etc.
- Ability to convey your message effectively
Why is it important to write well all the time?
When to stick with proper writing:
- Writing and/or responding to emails
- Writing, responding and/or commenting on blog posts
- Article writing
- Writing contests
- Manuscript queries, partials and submissions
- Book reviews or public reviews of any kind
- Updating social network sites
- Online interviews
When you can let it slide:
- Twitter updates (due to the 140 character limit)
- Text or instant messaging
Tips to make sure your writing is superb:
- Always use spell check
- Read it back to yourself out loud
- Use Kindle or Microsoft Word’s text-to-speech feature
- Have someone else look over it
- Put it away for a couple days, look over it again, and then post publically
- After publishing it (blog or online article) and you find a typo or mistake, correct it immediately